Chelsea have reportedly made another bid for Palermo’s attacking midfielder Javier Pastore. The Blues had shown interest in the 22-year-old earlier in the year. If they do succeed in signing the Argentinian it may well end their interest in Tottenham’s Luka Modric.
According to Footybunker Villas-Boas prefers the Pastore option to Modric and that Palermo said they have received an offer of €50 million from a ‘foreign club’ on Tuesday.
The Palermo president Maurizio Zamperini then said yesterday: “Pastore is a phenomenal player and there are three or four clubs interested in him,”
“I am a businessman and I will not lose my cool, but it is clear that clubs who want Pastore must have the economic power to submit a proposal.
“Chelsea are one of the clubs concerned, but we have to wait to see what Villas-Boas, the new coach, decides. The same goes for Juventus, although they are less interested than the English.
Meanwhile the signing of Neymar looks to be off as Real Madrid seems to be the likely destination for the Brazilian. However the Portuguese players Falcao and Coentrao may still join Villas-Boas at Stamford Bridge.
Roman Abramovich is keen to get his Chelsea project back on track after a disappointing season under Carlo Ancelotti. With the arrival of the like of Fernando Torres in January and a host of top players linked to the Blues this summer Villas-Boas will be under pressure to deliver trophies in his first season and to make a real push for the Champions League.