Unless Jose Mourinho does the unthinkable and insist on keeping Chelsea legend Petr Cech, the Czech republic star will almost certainly leave Chelsea once the summer transfer window is flagged open.
The 32-year-old champions league winner has found himself as a benchwarmer this season as second choice to Thibaut Courtois who has taken his Chelsea career by storm ever since returning from his two year loan spell to Spain.
According to reports yesterday, Petr Cech is already talking to Turkish side Bekistas over a possible move in the summer. This much was confirmed by the player’s agent who was quoted to have said;
“I have been in contact with Besiktas — we are in talks,” Cech’s agent Viktor Kolar told Turkish publication Fanatik. “Turkey is a choice for Cech, but we will decide when the league is over.”
However, if you believe Telegraph’s journalist Jeremy Wilson, Arsenal are a tempting offer for the Czech republic star. The telegraph journalist claims a move to Arsenal is possible but it is all dependent on whether Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich wants the keeper to decide his own destination or not.
Jeremy Wilson states; “Cech and his family are settled in London and, while there will be other offers across Europe, Arsenal would clearly be a tempting option.”
However, judging by Jose Mourinho’s quotes few days ago, Arsenal will find it difficult to find the keeper unless Abramovich decides to veto Jose Mourinho.
Jose Mourinho was quoted to have said;
“One thing is Jose Mourinho and another is Mr Abramovich and another thing is the board because the board is a little bit of me and other people,’ said the Chelsea manager. ‘If it was my decision, the decision is Petr to stay. That’s it.”
When asked if he would even hold the 32-year-old keeper to the contract against his will, he added: “Yes, I think the club is more important than the player and the club needs two very good goalkeepers.
“Without Petr this season I don’t think the club would be champions because he played in six important matches. Without these points we probably wouldn’t be champions.
“For me, decision one would be for Petr to stay. After that, second point, to go but not in England. The option I don’t want is for him to go to an English club. But, I repeat, I am just the manager. If the club decision is different to mine I will accept it.”