Last week it was reported that Chelsea were close to signing Romanu Lukaku from Belgian side Anderlecht, but their initial offer of £18million was rejected. Well today news has broken on the Belgian TV Station RTB that they have come back with an improved offer for the teenager, reported to be £20million.
Herman van Holsbeeck is the General Manager at Anderlecht and he has openly admitted that Chelsea are one of the front runners to sign Lukaku and said “We are indeed negotiating with Chelsea, but there are other clubs we are talking to. It could happen in the next half hour, it could take until 31st August – that is football.”
Andre Villas-Boas is an admirer of Lukaku and tried to sign him when he was manager at Porto, but he will not be pushed around by Anderlecht demanding in the region of £25million. According to a report on talkSPORT late last evening Chelsea have told Anderlecht that they want a decision made by Thursday 4th August.
If Lukaku does not move to Chelsea he may still be playing his football in London as Arsenal have also expressed an interest in signing him. Should they sell Cesc Fabregas to Barcelona they will have the money to match any price that Anderlecht may set, but Chelsea will not give up without a fight that is a guaranteed fact.
Comments are closed.